Another hilarious story.
Software as a service company, and this is a B2B lead gen scenario. Landing page optimization is fun. I can do this stuff in my sleep, under water, blindfolded, both arms tied behind my back and upside down – but one thing is for sure, B2B lead gen is a tough nut to crack.
- Category: B2B Software as a Service (Cloud Collaboration)
- Location: Landing Page
- Opportunity: Driver of all sales leads. Increase in leads and increase in quality leads is the name of the game.
- General Idea: Let’s discover our “a-ha moment” here
- General Hypothesis: Start off with micro a/b testing to understand what elements of the landing page end users are responsive to.
This is literally what happened. I was in the office and I stumbled across a banner I had seen a million times. Only this time I stopped to actually read it – yes banner ad blindness is real: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banner_blindness.
The banner stated, “Over 86% of the Fortune 500 use MindJet”. Now, I paused a moment and thought, “Um, that is an incredible testimonial”. And I realized this quote was not located anywhere on our website.
30 seconds later, I added the quote into our landing page and ran an a/b test. I let the a/b test bake and boom – 15% increase in conversion/ leads.
Now I’m a giant advocate of discovering your “a-ha moment” and exploiting it. Let’s examine what happened. Social validation matters. In this case the right kind of social validation was key. Just another aspect of FOMO.
The funny thing is, I was the only one leveraging this type of marketing. To really exploit this new insight, think of all the various things we could do:
- Localize to other landing pages
- Incorporate in email nurturing campaigns
- Further leverage this content down the funnel in our ecommerce flow
- Curate across all ad spend
- Think of all the possibilities with content marketing strategies
The list goes on 🙂